About Diana and HomeGrown Ideas
Every day I’m creating
Diana here, creative mind for HomeGrown Ideas.
I’m a polymath who has many interests to explore and to share with you.
I want to inspire people to step out of their everyday boxes to investigate new topics. I believe that to live fully we must continually learn.
I used to think I was alone. There were no others like me who lived to experience new dimensions to life. But gradually I found others like me.
- Renaissance people
I found my tribe. I found confidence to be comfortable with my giftedness, with following my own path, with being different.
One day several years ago, I was meeting a man at a coffee shop whom I had met through an online dating site. He told me his abbreviated story and asked me to tell my story. After I provided a shortened synopsis, he leaned back in his chair and said, “We can’t date, I could never compete with you.”
Needless to say, I had never thought of dating as competing so I didn’t know how to answer him. I finally was able to say, “I don’t understand.”
“I can’t compete with you because you’ve chosen to live your life exactly as you’ve wanted.”
I was speechless. I found his statement to be a compliment, but somehow he was implying that it wasn’t. I never saw him again, but his statement really made me think.
I see life as having many opportunities that I can choose to take or not.
I felt sorry for the man. Although he was very financially successful, he felt hopeless to give direction to his own life.
This is about experiencing life and enjoying the journey. It’s about building internal confidence and the freedom to explore new ideas.
You can choose to live your life exactly as you want to live it.
Take the first step and join the HomeGrown Ideas community here.
Random Facts About Diana
- My creative ideas began as a young child when I created cardboard guitars that I pretended to play.
- I have eaten a termite in Belize. It tasted like a mint Tic Tac.
- I like frogs…and toads…and turtles.
- Growing up, the creek in my backyard was a portal to other countries around the world. I visited rice paddies in China, lions in Africa and polar bears in the Arctic.
- A favorite memory is of making snow angels with a 5 year old student when I worked at a school in Chicago.
- When I was a child, I wanted to be a member of the Star Trek crew and explore new civilizations and to go where no one has gone before.
- I like handwashing dishes.
- It’s not much fun to travel alone.
- I have no regrets.
- I like to go dinosaur hunting.
- Deserts are nice to visit, but I require green vegetation in my life everyday.
- I love picking blueberries on a hot summer day in the South.
- I once gave up TV for 6 months.
- I have ridden with Mayan Indians in a dugout canoe.
- I love mosaics.
- I have a lot of color in my house. Only the closet walls are white.
- Geraniums remind me of my German grandfather.
- I have four degrees with one more on the way: B.S. in Business Marketing; M.S. in Earth Science; Ph.D. in Geology; 2nd M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and soon an Ed.S. in Counseling.
- I will never stop learning.
- I still want to be a member of the Star Trek crew.
A Couple of Pet Peeves
Very few things really bother me enough to call them pet peeves. But here are a couple:
- Ignorance – ignoring recommended scientific advice and expecting me to agree with you about a viewpoint with no foundation.
- Not taking personal responsibility for your own actions.
My biggest pet peeve is when people are not living their lives as they want AND they complain to everyone about it with no actions being taken to change it. By visiting this page today, you’re already one step ahead – you are thinking about change.
So, what’s next? I’m glad you asked.
Join the HomeGrown Ideas newsletter. I’m just starting the newsletter so you definitely won’t receive a lot of them. I’m thinking that about once a month you’ll receive an emailed newsletter. I’m still playing with ideas, but I might have workshops, accountability/goal-setting teams, and possibly even trips to interesting places. No spam ever. Unsubscribe at any time.
Join me and let’s go exploring!